Progress & Data
- On average, 78% of Ready to Move participants have a positive new outlook on physical activity
- During the spring semester, Weight Watchers participants lost over 4,400 pounds
- Over 1,000 IU employees and spouses participated in Back to Our Roots, Healthy IU's first-ever nutrition challenge
- Climb IU participants climbed 354,071 flights of stairs. That's like ascending the highest mountain in the solar system, Olympus Mons, 40 times!
- And we're not done yet!
Words of Wisdom from Participants
Whether its finding social support, clarifying goals, or remembering to take time for yourself throughout the day, here's a slice of what IU employees have learned (so far) in 2018:
- “A quick couple of minutes of moving around makes you more productive, so there is really no time lost, only gained.” — Ready to Move participant
- "I appreciate that I am able to participate with my co-workers. They have been very supportive throughout this process. We try to make it a point to find healthy lunch choices when going out or bring in a healthy option for celebrations." — Weight Watchers participant
- "Doing the plant-based challenge really helped me focus on achievable goals that aren't weight-focused. Thank you!" — Back to Our Roots participant
- "I was able to push myself farther when I climbed with a buddy." — Climb IU participant
Learn about the progress of ongoing Healthy IU initiatives below.
Workplace Wellness Survey
Work and health are related. The more we know, the better our chances of being healthy ourselves and making our workplaces healthier. That's why Healthy IU supports the Fairbanks School of Public Health Workplace Wellness Survey.
The survey helps us:
- Understand how well IU workplaces are supporting the health of employees,
- Recognize strengths and challenges to health in our university community,
- Identify opportunities for change that are actionable from an organizational standpoint,
- Gauge progress toward a healthier IU.
Healthy IU 2020 Plan & Objectives
Where are we going, and where have we been?
Healthy IU's 2020 Plan & Objectives are a guiding document for Healthy IU services, and are based on a gap analysis using the Fairbanks School of Public Health Survey Data and CDC Scorecard.
Updated May 2018
Back to Our Roots: Plant Eating Challenge
Back to Our Roots is a 3-week challenge to add a wide variety of plant-based foods to your meals and snacks. The goal is for participants to explore new plant-based foods and enjoy more of their old favorites.
Ready to Move
Ready to Move pairs upper-level or graduate students enrolled in an exercise leadership class with full-time staff and faculty who the students coach on how to utilize activity trackers to move more throughout the day. The students gain valuable coaching experience while the staff and faculty gain important knowledge about physical activity and the use of activity trackers.
Weight Watchers was chosen as an evidence-based weight management program that supports life-long behavior changes. Those that participated in the program were offered a 12-week series of community vouchers (off-site meetings) or at-work meetings for larger campuses. All participants also received 14-week access to Weight Watcher’s online e-tools.
Climb IU Challenge
Climb IU is an online challenge to encourage IU employees and their spouses to move more throughout the day! Moving throughout the day re-energizes our minds and bodies, and it’s important to our health. Participants can create a Climb IU team or register as an individual.
Taking the stairs can be fun and convenient, and it's one of many ways to accomplish workday movement! For Climb IU, there are two options for participation:
- Participate by climbing stairs: Those who will participate in Climb IU by taking the stairs will count every 12 stairs climbed as a flight.
- Participate by active minutes: Those who will participate in Climb IU by active minutes will count every 3 minutes of physical activity (stretching, walking, moving as able) as a flight.
Feel Great IU! Challenge
Through this test pilot program, Healthy IU seeks to:
Create fun and build camaraderie around the common goal of a healthy weight, whether you are working toward maintenance or weight loss.
Find out which educational resources are most desirable to IU employees and their spouses/partners, so that we can continue to offer programs that employees and their spouses/partners truly want.
Find out which educational resources are the most effective in helping IU employees and their spouses attain and maintain a healthy weight.
Gather feedback to learn, grow, and make future offerings even better.
- 2017 Feel Great IU! Summary Report
- 2016 Feel Great IU! Summary Report — Analysis Provided by the IU School of Medicine
Sleep Great IU! Challenge
Sleep affects just about every aspect of your life. If you aren't getting enough high-quality sleep, it can impair both your physical and mental health. Sleep is important for learning, problem solving, managing stress, and regulating mood. It also promotes a healthy immune system and helps prevent chronic conditions like obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Despite the numerous benefits of sleep, many of us are struggling to meet our sleep needs. More than a third of Americans aren't getting enough sleep.
Sleep Great IU! was a 4-week online challenge is for IU employees. During the challenge, participants worked on 8 habits that promote better sleep. Participants used a Personal Online Tracker once a week to record which habits they successfully completed for most of the week.
This 4-week online practice will help participants tap into their powerful skills of:
- Effective Communication
- and Self-Compassion
Studies show a strong connection between these skills and our mental and physical well-being at work and home. Each week, participants will be introduced to a research-based practice that will help deepen these skills and your well-being.
All IU employees, and their spouses, are invited to join us on this journey! Practicing is always better together, so consider inviting your spouse and co-workers to join you, too!