Sleep is vital to our health and well-being. Here are a few reminders on how to get a good night’s sleep:
- Keep a regular sleep and wake time.
- Be physically active, but not too close to bedtime.
- If you drink caffeine, avoid it 6 hours before bedtime.
- Manage stress.
- Don't go to bed too hungry or too full.
- Create a calming bedroom that is comfortable for you.
- Avoid tobacco. Nicotine is a stimulant and can disrupt sleep.
- If you drink alcohol, avoid it 3 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid drinking too many liquids before bed.
- Learn about Healthy Sleep Basics.
- The National Institutes of Health provides information on sleep and sleep disorders.
- View a recording of the Healthy IU presentation, "Reset Your Rhythm: How to Optimize Sleep for Weight Loss" and download the workshop handout.
- Download the Healthy Sleep Environment Checklist to make sure your bedroom is primed for great sleep.
- Try the 28-day Sleep Great IU! Challenge. You'll learn and practice 8 healthy sleep habits over the course of 4 weeks, and you can start at any time. (Before you start, it might be helpful to make sure your bedroom meets the Healthy Sleep Environment Checklist criteria.)