Check the IU Events Calendar for the latest session info.
A growing body of research has shown that mindfulness practices improve concentration and focus and may lead to greater well-being, less reactivity to stress, and fewer symptoms of anxiety, depression, fatigue, and sleep disturbance. In this 7-week, experiential course, we will discuss and practice mind-body tools to reduce the experience of stress and anxiety in mind, body, and emotions and turn on the relaxation response.
IU staff and faculty who attended this class have said:
- “The class is absolutely wonderful—and for me, life-changing.”
- “I can find inner peace through the techniques learned in this class that brings me a renewed sense of energy!”
- “This course has helped me realize what is most important and foremost in my life. All the other things are very small in comparison.”
- “I am so grateful for this opportunity—expert guidance, supportive work environment, a walk to the Union each week. What I am learning extends way beyond my work at IU; this class is giving me the tools I need to be a calmer, more focused and aware wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend—a calmer, more focused and aware me.”
This program focuses on:
- Recognizing and addressing stressful situations effectively “on the spot”
- Managing chronic stress
- Improving focus and communication
- Enhancing mind-body wellness
Employees are invited to the orientation, which is the first session, to assess if this class meets their needs. The class is free to employees committed to attending the weekly sessions.
Facilitator: Leslie Flowers, certified health and well-being coach, mindfulness-based stress reduction teacher, and director of student wellness at IU School of Dentistry