Join the "Sleep Walk"
The 2016 Sleep Walk was a huge success! Thank you to all those who participated!
- IU Bloomington: Start at the Sample Gates
- IUPUI: Start outside the Rotary Building
- IU East: Start in the Quad
- IU Kokomo: Start outside Alumni Hall
- IU Northwest: Start at Quad outside of Moraine Student Center
- IU South Bend: Start outside Schurz Library (northside)
- IU Southeast: Start at the Clock Tower
- IUPUC: Grab a buddy and walk on campus
View your campus route here
Getting enough sleep is one of the best things you can do for yourself! Come walk with us on campus to raise awareness about sleep health. If you are an employee who registers for the 4-week, online Sleep Great IU! Challenge, you'll also have the chance to receive a t-shirt to wear to the walk, available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Learn more.
Research shows sleep plays a critical role in important things like:
- Learning and problem solving
- Managing stress and regulating mood
- Immune function
- Cardiovascular health
- Preventing chronic diseases
- Regulating weight and metabolism
Sometimes getting enough sleep can be hard. Did you know that spending time in daylight and getting regular physical activity can help you sleep better? Join the Sleep Walk — and you’ll be on your way to a good night’s sleep! View your campus route here.
Here are some sleep tips to keep in mind:
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night
- Go to bed at about the same time every night
- Limit screen time 1 hour before bedtime
- Get moving for at least 30 minutes a day
- Spend 15 minutes outside in morning daylight
- Do relaxing activities in dim lighting during the hour before going to sleep
- Avoid alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime
- Avoid caffeine within 6 hours of bedtime
Read more Healthy Sleep Basics
Interested in a 4-week challenge to help you sleep better? “Sleep Great IU!” starts September 12! Learn more.
Note: If you currently sleep less than 4 hours per night, do not operate a motor vehicle or heavy machinery and consult with a physician.