Money Mindset: Financial Wellness Challenge
3-week online challenge
Starts September 9, 2019
Free to participate
Registration for the online challenge is now closed. Download the PDF tracker to participate on your own!
Join employees and their spouses across Indiana University as they examine their spending habits, learn about their personal financial values, and set a financial wellness goal to propel themselves forward! This 3-week online challenge is brought to you by Healthy IU and IU MoneySmarts, and it's free to participate! As a participation incentive, eligible participants who sign up will receive a journal to use during the challenge (while supplies last).
Financial Wellness by the Numbers
- Financial Wellness is one of the eight Dimensions of Wellness.
- Seven out of ten American workers say financial stress is their most common cause of stress, and almost half (48%) say they find dealing with their financial situation stressful. (Source)
- Two things that can help reduce financial stress are knowing where your money goes and knowing your financial values.
- Week 1: Track your spending habits (September 9-15)
This week, find out where your money is going. Choose whether you'd like to track your spending for a week, or gather information from the past month or year.
- Week 2: Learn about your personal financial values (September 16-22)
For the second week of the challenge, take time to rank your financial values and reflect on how those show up in your life. Are you a planner, or more spontaneous? Do you like to spend money on life's pleasures, or to maintain a certain image? There are no wrong answers!
- Week 3: Set a SMART financial goal (September 23-29)
SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Action-based, Realistic, and Time-lined. In week 3, you'll set a SMART goal to work toward. It is totally personal to you, and can be anything you are interested in doing for your financial wellness.
Check out more information about the challenge below!
As a participation incentive, full-time IU employees and their spouses are eligible to receive an IU MoneySmarts / Healthy IU journal. The journal will really come in handy during the challenge for jotting thoughts, reflections, and keeping tabs on your SMART goal! It even has pockets for you to keep your receipts while you track your spending during Week 1!
Journals are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, while supplies last.
How to Participate
- Step 1: Register here! Don't forget that spouses can sign up, too. Financial Wellness is better together!
- Step 2: Participants will receive an e-mail with a link to their personal online tracker when the challenge starts Monday, September 9.
- Step 3: Follow the prompts in the tracker for each week of the challenge. You'll receive an e-mail reminder twice a week to help keep you on track!
- Step 4: Once you're done with the 3-week challenge, celebrate! And complete the Challenge Evaluation Survey before October 7.
WANT MORE? This challenge will help you with general knowledge about your financial habits and values. For specific information on topics like saving, debt, retirement, credit, and more, IU MoneySmarts will be offering some fun programs after the challenge is over! Click here to sign up for the additional IU MoneySmarts programs!
Financial Wellness Resources
- Check out IU MoneySmarts and MoneySmarts U!
- Additional Programming: After the Money Mindset challenge, IU MoneySmarts will be offering more in-depth information on topics like saving, debt, retirement, credit, and more! Click here to sign up for the additional IU MoneySmarts programs!
- Retirement & Financial Education opportunities from Indiana University Human Resources.
If you prefer to print and use a paper copy of the tracker, you can download a PDF version here. Please remember to also update your online tracker, especially the Evaluation Survey at the end! Thank you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out a PDF of the FAQs here.
Need additional help? E-mail us at email@example.com!