An automated external defibrillator (AED) is a portable device that checks the heart rhythm and can send an electric shock to the heart to try to restore a normal rhythm. AEDs are used to treat sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). SCA is a condition in which the heart suddenly and unexpectedly stops beating.
IU South Bend has six AED locations:
- The Elkhart Center (in the security office)
- River Crossing Community Center (office area behind the check in counter)
- Schurz Library (behind the circulation counter on the south book shelf)
- Education and Arts building (in the room next to the dental clinic)
- University Center basement (in the parking office)
- Student Activity Center (in the room behind the check in counter)